Monday 29 August 2011

Camping trip to Devon with family

Over the dates of 25/08/2011 - 29/08/2011 myself and my family (Mum, Dad, Sister and Dog) went camping in south Devon on a Campsite called Deerswell Camping, it was an absolutly loverly site with a perfect view, on one side to the south the was the sea and we could see Start point Lighthouse, to the west were rolling hills and farmers fields.
We arrived on the Thursday afternoon after spending the morning packing the car and doing all the final checks, I only took one bag my Alice pack which included my tent (Vango Banshee 300) and wool blanket so my stuff took up the least amount of space in the car, considering it was only 3 nights away we had a lot of stuff, but for camping you need certain gear the only things that change in quantity with time are clothes and food.
Anyway the Base camp Toronto we took worked really well, its not a new tent and this is the first time we used it and it leeked a little at the seems but was fine, once we pegged it out properly it was secure and didn't rock to much in the wind, we set up our oil lamp which we run with citronella oil inside on the table and it slowly leaked heat into the tent so we were dry, out of the wind and warm which for my Mother who doesn't normally camp with us was very important.
On the Friday we went into the local towns to have a look around and buy some bits and bobs like food. That night it was raining and Dad didn't want to go out so we set up a BBQ in the pourch part of the tent and cooked a fried breakfast.
Saturday was the best day of the holiday, we went down to Slapton sands beach, the family settled down on the pebbles the dog jumped in the sea and I went looking for limpets and muscles, I found loads of each but broke the tip of my Bear Grylls folding scout knife collecting a monster of a limpet.
After collecting sea food I left my full canteen cup with the family and went climbing and scrambleing over rocks and cliffs, there was one particually steep hard scramble which I did, got to the top and found a soft, clean, white feather which I have now put into my bush hat as a memory from a good camp and a great day climbing.
Saturday night I got a chance to dry our new Dutch oven which we brought only earlier that week, it worked great, I cooked a chicken stew, the video about it is on youtube.
Sunday was a sunny dry day so we put the tents down and packed the car and we left just before lunch time, the dog loved the whole camp, she was so well behaved, good dog.

Thank you guys for joining me on this camp
Stay Safe
God bless you and yours
Andrew the WhiteWolfBushcrafter

No comments:

Post a Comment