Sunday 10 July 2011

Night Hawk and Devises Explorer Camp At Pottern

I had a camp this weekend 09/07/11 - 10/07/11 it was at Pottern campsite with Night Hawks ESU, Devises ESU, Devises scouts, we did climbing, archery, air rifle shooting, and pionnering, all of which I do outside of scouting, in the pionnering we made a tower by making two tri-pods and turned one upside down inside the the other both tripods had supports around the base of them to keep them triangle, we then put poles on the base of the upside down one to make a platform, and I stayed up on it and helped some explorers one at a time onto it, we were about 15 - 20 ft up then the other two groups who had made catapults started fireing tennis balls at me and they got very close, as in a caught one in my hat and another hit me in the head :-P
Archery we had an instructor come down and basicly he did a quick safety brief gave us the bows and let those who had shot before coach and help the others, it was good, we were just useing recurve bows and i really wish I had my longbow with me but we were just shooting over 10M so it wouldn't be smart.
Air rifles, the instructor is ex-forces and ex-armed police and now a ballistics engineer so if anyone knows about guns it's him, he had a .177 and two .22 air rifles which were scrap and he fixed for use in scouting activities, that was good, we were shooting at targets, knock-down rabbits and birds and disks, one of the .22 had a scope and was under lever which was cool, I've never used an under lever before.
Climbing again had a specalist instructor, because I've done a climbing course I could belay which meant two people could climb at any one time, I did get to climb too, I did all 3 climbs on the wall which was only 40 ft tall but i was wearing magnum boots so it wasn't as easy as normal but still doable, he wouldn't let me climb barefoot which would have been ideal but it was good.
Our explorer leader took some frisbies with him and we were playing with them in our free time and they were good ones, they flew great and one got stuck in a tree so I just had to climb up to get it  because I could :-D
For this camp I slept under my Basha and had a great night sleep, was up to 03:00 sitting by our dying camp fire trying to make a spoon, I've never made a spoon before it wasn't that good, it accidently got thrown on the fire we used to cook breakfast so I'll have to try make another one soon.
The devises scouts had the option of sleeping in emergancy shelter, a large bin bag and string, only four of them did.
Thats just a quick over view of what happened on the weekend and some of the highlights, don't want to make you to jealous now do we?? :P

Andrew (whitewolfbushcrafter)

No comments:

Post a Comment